Obesity is becoming common nowadays. Several procedures aim at reducing excess fat and weight in the body. Gastric banding or bariatric surgery is a highly beneficial surgical treatment for obesity. The process aims at restricting the stomach size so that the person feels full by eating small amounts of food.
Let us learn more about the working of the gastric band procedure.
Facts On Gastric Band Surgery
Here are some of the lesser-known facts about gastric banding that you should know:
- Gastric band surgery is a kind of bariatric or weight loss surgery.
- It is a slightly aggressive, quick, alterable, and adaptable surgical process that reduces the stomach size. This helps in lowering food consumption.
- A person who undergoes this surgery is permitted to eat only healthy liquid foods. As the stomach gets comfortable, soft foods are slowly reintroduced for six weeks.
- Banding can cause huge weight reduction and also reduce the severity of diabetes
- The amount of weight loss that happens through the procedure varies from one person to another.
BmiOfTexas is a leading company that specializes in weight-loss surgery procedures like gastric sleeve. Their state-of-the-art facility cost-effectively offers quality service.
Working Of Gastric Band Surgery
In a Gastric band surgery, an inflatable silicone-based band is placed in the upper-region of the stomach. The process happens under general anaesthesia in an outpatient clinic. The treatment is minimally invasive and takes around 30 to 60 minutes. The patient goes home on the same day.
During the treatment, a tube is attached to the band. It is accessible via the abdomen skin. The surgeon injects a saline solution into this band to properly inflate it.
The band forms a tiny stomach pouch above it, with the remaining of the stomach lies below. This causes the size of the stomach to reduce. A person feels fuller with fewer amounts of food. This method is approved as a weight loss procedure by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
What should be Diet after surgery?
A person is allowed to eat less after this surgical treatment.
- For the initial few days, only liquid food is allowed such as water, thin soups, etc.
- By the end of the month, a person is allowed to consume blended foods, like puréed vegetables and yogurt.
- Between 4 and 6 weeks, light and soft foods can be consumed in moderate amounts.
- After 6 weeks, a normal diet is allowed.
Who Will Benefit By The Surgery?
There is a general guideline for determining who should get the treatment:
- If your BMI is more than 35
A doctor may recommend the surgery for people with a BMI between 30 and 35 when:
- They have complications related to obesity, or
- Non-surgical methods such as dietary changes, exercise, and medications
- Haven’t yielded positive results.
Who are not appropriate for this surgery?
- Have an alcohol or drug abuse disorder
- Have an unrestrained psychiatric illness
- Have problems understanding the advantages, alternatives, risks, outcomes, lifestyle modifications that would have to make
Benefits Of Gastric Banding
- Long-term weight loss is possible for obese people
- Rapid recovery
- Small possibility of hernias and wound infections post-surgery
- Reduced chances of high blood pressure, diabetes, urinary incontinence, and other conditions linked to excessive weight
- No malnutrition
- Better quality of life
- Ability to adjust or remove the band. You can loosen or tighten it based on your convenience.
Gastric banding surgery is a process that gives effective results provides that you follow the prescribed post-surgery instructions and lead a healthy lifestyle.